If you have been directly impacted or know someone who has, below is an overview of the grants available by the Australian Red Cross and Australian government:
Australian Red Cross
All claims can be made through the Australian Red Cross website. To apply for the following grants, you will need evidence of identity and bank statements showing the individuals full name and account details. More information can be found on the website above.
1. Emergency Grant:
- Amount: $20,000
- A payment to support people whose primary place of residence was destroyed or made permanently uninhabitable due to bushfires between 1 July 2019 and 28 February 2020. Both renters and homeowners are eligible for this grant.
- Some additional requirements include proof of residence such as a utility bill.
- Note: If you have received a previous payment there Is no need to re-apply, the Australian Red Cross will contact you directly.
2. Injury Grant:
- Amount: $7,500
- A payment for people who have spent 2 or more days in hospital due to physical injuries or mental health issues caused by bushfires during the period 1 July 2019 to 28 February 2020.
- Some additional requirements include evidence of your hospital admission.
3. Primary Residence Repair Grant:
- Amount: $5,000
- Homeowners are eligible for this grant provided they own their primary place of residence and it has been structurally damaged by fire impacting on safe habitation during the period 1 July 2019 and 28 February 2020.
- Some additional requirements may include proof of residence and proof of home ownership. For example, loan documents, utility bills and title deeds.
4. Bereavement payment:
- Amount: $20,000
- This payment is available to the senior next of kin of those who have lost their lives in bushfires between 1 July 2019 and 28 February 2020.
1. Disaster Recovery Payment:
- Amount: $1,000 per adult, $400 per child under 16 years of age.
- Individuals who have been seriously injured, had a family member who has died or had their primary place of residence destroyed are eligible to apply for this grant. Eligible individuals may also have experienced major structural or interior damage to their primary place of residence or had major assets (value > $20,000) destroyed or significantly damaged.
All claims can be made by one of the following:
- Over the phone at 180 22 66
- Print and complete the relevant form
- Go to your local service centre
If you require further assistance in making a claim or have any questions, please contact your usual Mazars advisor or alternatively the contacts below.
Published: 13 February 2020
Please note that this publication is intended to provide a general summary and should not be relied upon as a substitute for personal advice.
All rights reserved. This publication in whole or in part may not be reproduced, distributed or used in any manner whatsoever without the express prior and written consent of the Mazars, except for the use of brief quotations in the press, in social media or in another communication tool, as long as Mazars and the source of the publication are duly mentioned. In all cases, Mazars’ intellectual property rights are protected and the Mazars Group shall not be liable for any use of this publication by third parties, either with or without Mazars’ prior authorisation. Also please note that this publication is intended to provide a general summary and should not be relied upon as a substitute for personal advice. Content is accurate as at the date published.